Law News
Lagos CJ seeks lawmakers’ support on financial autonomy

Chief Judge of Lagos State, Mrs. Oluwafunmilayo Atilade has sought the assistance of the state House of Assembly over financial autonomy for the Judiciary and appointment of more judges in the state.

She disclosed that Lagos State Judiciary is groaning under gross inadequate fund allocation. According to her, 70 per cent of the institution’s budget is expended on debt servicing, leaving only 30 per cent for the judiciary. She, however, crave for the intervention of the Assembly to rescue the state’s judiciary from underdevelopment.

Atilade, who was sworn in as the chief judge in November last year, made the request when she paid a visit to the Speaker of the House of Assembly, Hon. Adeyemi Ikuforiji in his office.

She also urged the assembly to give the judiciary the privilege of being part of the lawmaking process, noting that working together on law matters would be more productive. “I have come to seek the assistance of the House concerning financial autonomy for the judiciary in Lagos and appointment of more judges.”


Click here to read from source.

You must be logged in to post a comment.